Christmas is right around the corner and I want to make sure we are all prepared to cook and pair our Christmas dinners correctly – that means with the best craft beer out there. In this recipe, In this recipe from Alaskan Brewing Smoked Porter, a dessert worth the effort. Smoked Porter Christmas Pudding!
- 6 ounces unbleached flour
- 6 ounces butter flavored vegetable shortening
- 6 ounces bread crumbs, whole grain recommended
- 6 ounces light brown sugar
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 1 lemon rind, grated
- 1 orange rind, grated
- 1 pinch each of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves or to taste
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- Fruit Mixture
- 6 ounces currants
- 10 ounces golden raisins
- 10 ounces black raisins (or all golden if preferred)
- 4 ounces candied orange peel
- 4 ounces candied cherries, whole or chopped
- 1 22 oz. bottle Alaskan Smoked Porter
- 4 ounces candied ginger root, finely chopped
Combine the fruit mixture in a bowl with the Alaskan Smoked Porter and allow to steep for 2 hours up to overnight. Mix the first 10 ingredients into a batter. Fold in the fruit mixture. Place the cake in a steamer mould and steam for 4 to 7 hours in simmering water.
Cook and unmould onto a clear wrap. Allow to age in the refrigerator as desired. Keeps under refrigeration wrapped in clear wrap for weeks.
This recipe is couresy of Ken Vaughn and provided my the great brewers at Alaskan Brewering Company. Visit their site for other fantastic recipes and if you like them, you can even buy their cookbook!